By Jun Mai*
Beijing has cautiously welcomed Vladimir Putin’s suggestion that a military alliance between Russia and China is possible – the first time a Russian leader has made such a suggestion since the pact between Stalin and Mao Zedong collapsed.
On Friday he was asked about the possibility of such an alliance during
He continued that the two countries’ militaries already work closely together and “time will tell how it will progress from here. So far, we have not set that goal for ourselves. But, in principle, we are not going to rule it out, either. So, we will see”.
The comments were made against the backdrop of steadily deteriorating relations between the United States and China and were made the same day thatChinese President Xi Jinping delivered a fiercely nationalistic speech to mark the 70th anniversary of China’s entry into the Korean war.Among other thinly veiled criticisms of Washington, Xi said the country’s military was determined to defeat invaders and warned against any attempt to divide the nation.Beijing’s official response to Putin’s comments was non-committal, but a foreign ministry spokesman said they “demonstrate the high level and special nature of our bilateral ties”.
Although a formal alliance is unlikely, the suggestion was a clear sign of solidarity amid the US presidential campaign, where Donald Trump and Joe Biden have clashed over who would best handle the challenge posed by China, analysts said.
“Both China and Russia are targets of criticism in the US presidential elections, and Putin is trying to show how firm the ties are,” said Li Lifan, a researcher at Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences.
Li added that the show of solidarity was also sending a message about the new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty limiting the US and Russian nuclear arsenals, which Washington is trying to pressure China into joining.
Both Russian and US senior officials have signalled in the past week that the two sides are close to signing a short-term extension before the agreement expires in February.
Li said that chances of a Russia-China military alliance are still remote because that would oblige the two sides to defend each other if they were attacked, adding “it’s not necessary, it’s better to keep things tacit”.
He also noted that China is still part of the Non-Alignment Movement, a group of 120 developing world states that are not formally aligned with any major power bloc – something China has seen as a core element of its independent foreign policy for decades.
In July, both foreign ministries said they were teaming up to fight “disinformation” from “certain countries”. In September, China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi hailed the two sides’ mutual support in responding to “extremist forces in the United States” during a meeting with his Russian counterpart.
Bob Woodward’s recent book about the Trump administration, Rage, reported that the Russian leader called China “the largest out-of-control country on the planet” during a call with Trump in April – comments that did not appear on the press release.
Former US national security adviser John Bolton also wrote in his memoir The Room Where It Happened that the Russian defence minister Sergey Shoygu had told him that he agreed that another nuclear arms control treaty, the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, was no longer viable because of China’s enhanced capabilities and developments in technology since 1987.
China and the Soviet Union signed a Treaty of Friendship, Alliance and Mutual Assistance in 1950, months after the foundation of the People’s Republic. But relations deteriorated dramatically following the death of Stalin, at one point bringing the two countries to the brink of war.The later improvement in relations has picked up pace under Putin and Xi, but last December the Russian leader insisted Russia was not planning a military alliance with China.
Shi Yinhong, an international relations professor with Renmin University and an adviser to the State Council, China’s cabinet, said his latest remarks may be an attempt to play Washington and Beijing off against each other.news for a decade. Before his current posting in Beijing, he was based in Hong Kong and has also completed a stint in Washington D.C.Source: scmp.com
- Δημοφιλέστερες Ειδήσεις Κατηγορίας Blogs
- Οικογενειακή τραγωδία στο Ηράκλειο: "Τι έκανες ρε Μάνο;"- Τα ουρλιαχτά "πάγωσαν" τη γειτονιά
- Θεσσαλονίκη: Μεγάλες ουρές έξω από την ΕΥΑΘ - ΦΩΤΟ
- Τι έφερε ο λαβρόφ στην αθήνα
- Κορονοϊός – Γώγος: Έως και 1.000 κρούσματα αυτές τις μέρες – Έρχεται το lockdown, μέτρα και το 2021
- Μετεγγραφές φοιτητών (2020-2021): Πότε θα εκδοθεί η Εγκύκλιος
- ΔΕΝ ΝΤΡΕΠΟΝΤΑΙ; «ΝΑ ΣΤΑΜΑΤΗΣΕΙ αμέσως τις εργασίες της η ''Επιτροπή 2021''...»
- 10 φράσεις που καλό θα ήταν να σκεφτείς πριν τις πεις στο παιδί
- Θρίλερ στον Πειραιά: Βυθίζεται το πολεμικό πλοίο ΚΑΛΛΙΣΤΩ. Πώς το διεμβόλισε εμπορικό πλοίο [φωτο]
- Βυθίζεται το ναρκοθηρευτικό Καλλιστώ του ΠΝ! Το εμβόλισε φορτηγό πλοίο
- Το πολυβραβευμένο μιούζικαλ «Hair» από 3/11 στο θέατρο Ριάλτο – Αλέκος Αλεξανδράκης
- Δημοφιλέστερες Ειδήσεις Armynow
- Τελευταία Νέα Armynow
- Beijing gives cautious welcome to Vladimir Putin’s hint over Russia-China military alliance
- India To Sign Deal To Access Precision Data From US Military Satellites
- VA police officers prevent tragedy
- Coronavirus response: NATO delivers ventilators to Allies in need
- RNZAF receives CAE flight simulator for NH90 helicopters
- The Chinese nuclear threat – Analysis
- Trump or Biden: What the U.S. election means for Europe
- 4 Weapons That Make Russia a Terrifying Land Power
- Curbside service to assist with hearing aid issues Drive-through set up for Veterans
- 10 NATO countries now spending 2% of GDP on defense, report shows
- Τελευταία Νέα Κατηγορίας Blogs
- ΠΟΛΕΜΙΚΟ ΝΑΥΤΙΚΟ : «Καλλιστώ» – Ειδήσεις
- Άγιος Νέστωρ και Άγιος Λούππος- Εορτολόγιο: Ποιοι γιορτάζουν σήμερα 27 Οκτωβρίου
- Βελτιώσεις ενδιαιτημάτων από την Β’ ΚΟΑ
- Ο Μπραντ Πιτ στο πλευρό του Τζο Μπάιντεν – Εκφωνεί το προεκλογικό του σποτ (vid)
- ΤΙ ΕΠΙΔΙΩΚΕΙ! «Ο ΕΡΝΤΟΓΑΝ ακολουθεί την τακτική της "τανάλιας" του Τρίτου Reich...»
- Προλήψεις και δεισιδαιμονίες, έχουν βάση;
- Καθαρό σπίτι όλη την εβδομάδα!
- Αναδρομικά: Τι ισχύει για κληρονόμους και συνταξιούχους
- 27 Οκτωβρίου 312 – Εν τούτω Νίκα
- Σήμερα η Τριμερής Ελλάδας-Κύπρου-Ισραήλ